Friday, September 12, 2008

The Best Salsa Recipe

I promised I would post this. If anyone has a bunch of tomatoes they want to get rid of, this is the best way I know how.

The base of the salsa is chili-pepper vinegar. You make this by getting a bottle of red wine vinegar, emptying it and stuffing the bottle with dried red chilies (the small ones you find in the Mexican isle of the grocery store.) You pour the vinegar back in the bottle and let it sit for at least 2 weeks. This gives the chilies time to release their oils into the vinegar.

Salsa
8 cups of chopped tomatoes
1 bunch of cilantro
1 bunch of green onions
1 Anaheim pepper (sometimes I include this sometimes not)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried cumin
1 Tb. salt
2 Tb. brown sugar
1/2 cup of chili-pepper vinegar

Blend all ingredients in blender. I think 1/2 cup of vinegar is perfect, but more chili vinegar makes a hotter salsa.

2 comments:

T-Ray said...

Oh how I LOVE that salsa! Thanks for posting the recipe. :o) So... Cheryl tagged me... and now I am tagging you. Check out my blog for the rules.

William said...

Lori just made som of this sa;sa last night. Delicious! There is not Anaheim pepper in it; i'll just have to wait till next time.