Friday, November 7, 2008

Canning

Jess has been stressing food storage to me but for obvious reasons I haven't done a lot with it this year. I am however happy (and proud) to say that I have added to ours in the last few days. I bought a bushel of apples at a local orchard stand and made 12 quarts of applesauce and 5 pints of apple butter with it. This being my first canning experience, I was also pleased to find out that you get apple juice along with your applesauce. It made a good 3 pitchers full. The bags are filled with pumpkin which I got from cooking our 2 Halloween pumpkins that the girls drew on. The 2 pumpkins yielded 12 cans worth of puree. Of course food is always better tasting when made yourself, but I wondered how economical it was. So here is the breakdown.
________________________________________________________
1 bushel of apples = 23 dollars
2 pumpkins = 6 dollars
________________________________________________________
applesauce jar - 2.69 X 12 = 32.28
apple juice concentrate - 1.49 X 3 = 4.47
apple butter - 3.89 X 5 = 19.45
= 56.20
can of pumpkin - 1.49 X 12 = 17.88
________________________________________________________
It's good to know that canning and preserving food is not only better tasting but better on your wallet as well.

5 comments:

dannyhaley said...

I am so impressed! You are an amazing mom, to keep up on your kids plus do some canning!

Becky said...

I'm very impressed!! Where do you find the time to do it all?

jamie hixon said...

Oh my! Good for you. If disaster struck us right now we would be living mostly off beans and rice.

T-Ray said...

I am impressed also. Good work, good skill to know and use. Jess, I am sure is very proud.

Lynette Mills said...

You would have made a good pioneer Kristy. Your grandma Lois would also be proud of you. I can just see the smile on her face now. Of course, you won't do what she did and never eat this stuff. I wish you could have seen the amount of old food I threw away...and the jars I gave away after she died. But being prepared brought her great peace of mind.