Friday, March 6, 2009

Firsts

Last night Jess and I tried out our pressure canner for the first time. Jess is going to try his luck hunting Elk next year so I thought I better prepare now in case he comes home with one. This happened to be a beef roast that was on sale with onion and green pepper. We tasted some and it's just like pot roast. The bread I made while the meat was being canned. I was given the easiest recipe ever. From start to finish it only takes about an hour for the four loaves. If anyone wants the recipe let me know!

7 comments:

T-Ray said...

I really want the recipe! :o) I need to learn a lot from you.

Lynette Mills said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynette Mills said...

Kristy, you remind me of my mom, which I know you will take as a huge compliment...which is what I intend. I deleted the former comment because I spelled compliment wrong...they should not leave any traces of mistakes!

AllMyKs said...

Looks like you two had a successful night! I'm looking forward to trying the meat with you. How much meat would you say you canned? The bread looks great!

Holbrook Girls said...

Hey Kristy,
I want that bread recipe too! I love homemade bread, but I never feel up to making it!

Kristy said...

So we ended up with a lot of empty space in the jars when we finished with the meat. We didn't realize how much you can pack in there because it shrinks a lot in the canning process. We figured you can get at least 2 pounds of meat in a quart jar and be ok.

courtneyb said...

I would love the recipe. If you ever want a companion, I have some pork and chicken in my freezer that I got on sale and need to can. Just in case you need someone ;)