Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Beautiful

Every girl gets to the stage when she doubts herself, thinks she is awkward and wonders if she is good enough at (fill in the blank). Teenage years are the worst of course, but I wonder if most women still have a moment now and again. Because I had more than your average self loathing moments myself growing up, I have constantly told my girls how wonderful they are. Sometimes I think I overdo it, but apparently I don't.

Yesterday Reanne asked me if I thought she was pretty. I said of course I did. I told her she had beautiful hair and striking eyes. She interrupted me and asked, "But do you think my face is pretty?" I said that if I didn't think she was beautiful I wouldn't tell her so much. Jess, being a boy, assumed someone had told her that she was ugly and asked her as much. She got mad and told us that she just thought her face was ugly when she looked in the mirror. I was depressed for the rest of the day. My beautiful daughter who has lots of friends, has a cute little body, is smart, talented, and is only six already has self doubts. It's tough to be a girl.

5 comments:

T-Ray said...

It is tuff to be a girl. I am sad that she already has these thoughts. I feel like I always tell your girls how cute they are, but maybe I need to say it more.

Ruby said...

Shari asked me the SAME thing last week. I asked her where this doubt was coming from. She said there was someone on the bus who told her she had an ugly face. Hmmm

Lynette Mills said...

Kids can be so mean! But I think life is meant to throw us a few curve balls...it humbles us. It is a constant struggle to find a balance between self dought and pride.

Lynette Mills said...

I meant self doubt...I'm pretty humble right now.

jamie hixon said...

That just makes my heart hurt. Reanne is gorgeous.