Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Concert


I got to go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert on Thursday night. Thank you Sara for inviting me! I had never seen it before and it was really awesome. Their guest performers this year were Natalie Cole and David McCullough, the author of 1776 and John Adams.

Natalie Cole was actually nervous I think. Her first two numbers were a very breathy and a tiny flat. I thought to myself, "Am I actually critiquing Natalie Cole?" Yes, yes I was. It was still really cool to hear her. That is a once in a life time chance, and when she sang The Christmas Song it was perfect. I am pretty sure she has recorded that number because it sounded like the arrangement was made exactly for her.

David McCullough told about the history of I'll be home for Christmas and O Little Town of Bethlehem. He did a great job as only a historian of his caliber would. The MoTab sang behind him as he spoke and it was very moving.

I have to say that my favorite part of the whole evening however was the organ solo. Richard Elliot (who is my favorite Tabernacle organist) was supposed to play Good King Wenceslas. Well, it started out as that number, but it soon turned into the Nutcracker Suite. It was amazing. He was playing that organ so that it sounded like the whole orchestra was playing. He was pulling stops out everywhere, crossing his hands, crossing his feet and going a million miles an hour. When he was finished he got a standing ovation. It was amazing.

3 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

I was just reading an article about this event this morning. Your comments were exactly what others said. Would have loved to have heard that organ solo! Glad you got to go Kristy. Lots of people made the trip with standby tickets and never got in.

T-Ray said...

That is neat that you got to go. I went last year and really loved it. It is hard to get tickets to that thing.

courtneyb said...

my in laws were saying how amazing the organ solo was! I feel like I've missed out on something.