Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Circle of Life

For a long time the girls have thrown their left over crusts of bread outside in our yard. Almost immediately the sparrows found that we did this and stopped by frequently to see if there was any food. The girls loved to watch them and I loved that they stayed to eat all my bugs in the garden. This winter there were two bird "couples" that pretty much lived in our vine on the shed. Well, this morning when I looked out the kitchen window I saw a hawk on my fence. This was the second time I saw the bird but this time when he saw me looking at him he didn't fly away. Instead he tore into the vine where my two bird pairs were and chased around one of the males. He finally caught him behind the barbecue where he then brought him out and pounced on him a bit before he flew off with him. I couldn't believe I saw it all so close and I couldn't help feeling a little like I aided in the hawk's breakfast. I thought I was doing my kind deed by feeding the sparrows but really I was providing the perfect place for the murder of a little bird family!

5 comments:

AllMyKs said...

How awful Kristy! I would be traumatize for a good while after watching that! We have hawks in the fields around out house that are always swooping down after mice I assume. I'm surprised it would have gone after a little bird!

T-Ray said...

What a sad thing to witness... I would have maybe tried to chase it off. But maybe it was too late by that time.

courtneyb said...

my mom has a bird feeder in her backyard and she has had a hawk come twice and kill a bird that is eating. so sad. but the circle of life.

Lisa said...

Does sound a little traumatizing, even if it is the circle of life. You don't expect to see that played out in your back yard... Hope the kiddo's didn't see it happen!

Lynette Mills said...

Reminds me of the time I witnessed our dog eating little baby birds that had just flown from their nests in our backyard. Very traumatizing. She had just had puppies and was in survival mode.