Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Europe Trip Day One - Lisbon

Sorry this has taken a couple days...but not every place we have stayed has internet access. I can't believe we are already on day three of our trip. I will only hit the highlights I think because all our wanderings and mostly getting lost will be a bit tedious.

We traveled for about 23 hours with flights and lay overs with only about 2-3 hours of sleep. We only had a few hours in Lisbon before we wanted to hit the sack so we didn't get a ton of pictures.
This is our fearless driver. Oh my do Lisbon's drive fast. They are like New Yorkers on steroids. I could not believe what they did on the roads. I am just glad we spent only a few hours trying to navigate that city.
This was probably taken while we were trying to find our hostel. The road we needed to take was blocked off for the big party that evening. The party was to celebrate the National championship football (soccor) game that Portugal had. I guess it didn't matter who won. They were going to have a party regardless.
And what a party it was!!! As soon as the game ended people started honking their car horns and running around the street singing. And they never stopped...until about 3:30 in the morning. Luckily our hostel was directly over the party. I was so tired that I actually fell asleep through the noise....until the fireworks at 12:00. I then didn't go to sleep until the thousands of people below our window either went home or went to another street to continue their post game festivities. So much for me ever liking soccor.

2 comments:

jamie hixon said...

Oh that is so sad!
When Dan and I went to Manchester we awoke sometime in the wee hours to a bunch of drunk british girls singing "Big Spender" at the top of their lungs.

T-Ray said...

I didn't know you were going to blog while you were there! WOOHOO!! That is awesome! I can't wait to read all about your trip. I am super jealous, SUPER jealous AND excited for you guys!