Monday, June 28, 2010

The Narrows

This last weekend I went to youth conference to St. George with 5 of our youth. It was a great trip! One of the things we did was go to Zions National Park and hike the Narrows. I didn't actually get any pictures there so these are downloaded from the Internet...but these pictures are what I remember seeing and pretty much what it looked like.
I didn't know what to expect on the hike except that I knew I would be hiking through some water.
The first mile of the hike was a dirt trail and it went really fast. After we got to the river it was pretty slow because you pretty much stayed in it the whole time. You can't really tell from these pictures, but the current was really strong. In some parts you could barely keep upright while crossing. I actually fell 5 or 6 times.

As you can see from this picture there are parts of the river that are really high. At one point coming back we floated through a part that you couldn't touch at all.
It was a pretty advanced hike I thought. It was hard to keep your footing since you couldn't see the rocks you were stepping on. They were all different sizes and kind of slippery. The current also made it hard because there was so much resistance. By the end of the 4 1/2 hours of hiking my legs were burning. :) It was really beautiful though and surprisingly cool. Though it was 103 degrees that day, we were in very cool water and the rocks shaded us for a lot of the hike.

I think if I ever did this hike again, the next time I would even start earlier in the day to hike more of it. It isn't one to bring small kids on however. At first I thought how much fun Reanne might have on the hike, but after a while I knew it would be way too hard for her. If you like hiking, I would suggest this one. It was really fun.



3 comments:

T-Ray said...

So cool that you got to go. I have never done it, but A LOT of my friends have. It is really beautiful.

Lynette Mills said...

Sounds pretty intense Kristy. I'd love to do it someday though. It look absolutely gorgeous.

William said...

How lucky that you got a nice recreational weekend with youth conference! I'm in the wrong calling :)
I really need to visit Zion- It looks soooo beautiful. Everyone that i talk to that has been there is shocked that i have not been.
How fun.
Love you- Lori