Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pozole

I just finished my last lesson on Mexican cooking and I have to say that it was my favorite recipe. We made Pozole and it was soooo good.














Here is what you need-

2 lb of pork roast, cut in to pieces
2 lb of pork ribs (best to buy at a Mexican store but I got at Walmart)
1 bag of large red chilies, deseeded
1 garlic head
2 onions
1 6 lb can of hominy
1 chicken and 2 beef bouillon cubes
1 ice burg lettuce
6-7 radishes
limes
bag of tostadas

Here is what you do-

In the biggest pot you have put your cut meat (including bone), 1 onion cut into chunks, 6 garlic cloves peeled and cut into chunks, 2 beef bouillon cubes and fill 3/4 of the pot with water. Bring to boiling and let sit.
In another pot, put chili pods, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 1/2 onion, and 2 garlic cloves with 1/2 pot of water and let boil. Boil for 30 minutes and then blend in blender. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to blended mixture.
Open can of hominy and rinse it in a colander. Add corn to the soup. As the soup cooks, skim the top as needed. Pour 2 hand fulls of salt in the pot.
Strain the chili sauce into the soup. The soup should be really dark red after you are done. Let boil for at least 3 hours.
Dice 1/2 onion, cut radishes and lettuce and limes. Top the soup with the radishes, onion, and lettuce. Squeeze the lime over and enjoy!

There is also this really spicy sauce that we made that you can spoon inside the soup as well....but it was REALLY hot. If anyone wants the sauce let me know.

4 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

I think Rosalva Garcia made this and brought it to a church event. I really liked it too!

T-Ray said...

yum... looks good. I need to try this one!

Becky said...

I love pozole! I have a friend who makes it but she will never give out the recipe. I'm glad I finally know how to make it1 Thanks Kristy!

Tricia Taylor said...

Who's teaching you to cook??? Looks tasty!