Monday, September 20, 2010

Family Night

Last Sunday Reanne announced that she was going to give our family night lesson. In fact she was so excited about it that she couldn't wait until Monday night and we did it Sunday instead. In true Reanne style she did everything herself -minus the treats. I was actually really impressed when it was finished. Her lesson was about sin. When you sin she said, it is like getting stuck in a spider's web. You can't get out until you repent. Then for an activity we all sat in a circle and took turns tossing a spool of thread to each other. At the end we had built a spider web. It was short, but everyone had a fun time and the kids were so curious about what Reanne was doing that they all payed close attention. The best part was, that I didn't have to prepare it!


This got me thinking. Why not let her do this more often? We decided each person (minus Grant) would all take a turn doing family night every month. I was so excited about this. Even Jess gets to take a turn. :)


Tonight was Sierra's night. She wanted to do a lesson on animals so we got out our Noah's Arc lesson that has visuals. We practiced the story so that she could teach it to everyone. Her favorite part was being the only one able to touch the Noah, arc and the animals as she told the story. Then we played animal charades. Grant even played but got to excited and started hitting everyone. At the end we had pig cupcakes which Sierra helped me earlier. Sierra felt very grown up at the end.


I decided that it is a lot more fun for everyone...even me when the kids get involved with projects. I really hope we can keep this one up.

5 comments:

T-Ray said...

What a great idea. I love the kids creativity and excitement in teaching and learning.

AllMyKs said...

My kids love it when it is their turn to teach FHE. Kyler usually sets up "centers". We often pull up there most recent Primary lesson on line and have them pick out their favorite parts from that lesson to teach. That makes it easy since they already "know" it. They also like to recreate sharing time after I have taught using my visuals. Your animal FHE was great-especially the Grant part!

Lynette Mills said...

That is so great! Would have loved to be there... maybe someday soon :)

jamie hixon said...

That is awesome! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to take turns.

Lori said...

That is so great Kristy, way to be an example to us all! I also can't wait for my boys to be old enough to take a turn. love you!