Sunday, October 24, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Jess and I share a birthday today. It is one of those things that I like and dislike at the same time. I like the fact that we were born the same day, same year, almost the same hour until the day that we celebrate. Then I have to share my special day and because it's both our special days, somehow neither one of us makes a big effort for the other and it becomes not that special anymore. Today was especially bad. I am home with a daughter who threw up literally a minute before we were going to leave for church. I have had every kid sick this week and I also got to become friends with my toilet last night. Not a great birthday. We aren't even going to have a cake since it would probably make half the family puke again anyway.

I was pondering all this as I was doing a massive cleaning and thinking about how this was Jess's fault for feeding Sierra a hamburger when she had been sick all week. I thought about how I didn't have flowers on the table or any cards. Then I thought about how he didn't either. So I am dedicating this post to Jess as a birthday card from me.

Yep, this is how I feel about him sometimes -but just sometimes. Really, he's a pretty good guy. Would I have married anyone who wasn't? He's really kind to everyone, has a great sense of humor, is compassionate, and does a great job juggling all of his responsibilities. He doesn't let his stress show like I do (which is a really good thing for our family), and he always takes time to talk to me.
He is a great dad. The kids really adore Jess. It's so great he is 6'4'' and can handle the kids pounding on him because that job is definitely his. I think he even secretly likes it. Even though he hates chores like changing diapers and bathing the kids, he still does it anyway. I really appreciate that.
Jess is a really good sport. He pretty much goes along with all the crazy ideas that the women of the house have. He's been dressed up multiple times (and I always seem catch a picture of it.) He also is very willing to go along with some of my crazy ideas too (remodeling the kitchen, seeing plays, and other things I know he does not care about.) I really appreciate that too.
He's pretty cute too. When I stop to think about it, I know I lucked out in the husband department. (Even if he feeds my sick child a hamburger.) I love you Jess.

5 comments:

T-Ray said...

That was very sweet. I know that I love you and I love that you married Jess. You are a great couple and great parents and I appreciate you both.... A LOT!
Happy Birthday to both of you.

Lynette Mills said...

That was nice Kristy... thanks for being such a good example of a loving wife.
Sorry there was no card from me on your table :( From now on, you will always have either a birthday dinner or a babysitter for your birthday night out!

Olia said...

I am glad you liked them, too bad we didn't get to see you. I hope you had a better day today!

Lori said...

You guys are perfect for each other :) Love you both!

jamie hixon said...

I'm glad you married Jess too. He is pretty awesome. I really wish I lived closer to you guys.
You are awesome too! If I ever remembered what day it was I would have sent you something in the mail. Well, I sent clothes for Grant to Tracy, have you gotten them yet?