Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Kitchen Redo


Isn't this kitchen picture lovely? I saw a picture of a similar kitchen in a Home and Garden's magazine and thought it looked like mine. OK...not like mine, but I thought of my kitchen's potential.



Here is my kitchen. It's OK for a kitchen. The pluses were that there was lots of counter space and a great pantry. Everything was functional. There were a few minuses. The sink was small and it was hard to fit much in it. The counter tops were kind of nasty (especially if you looked underneath them.) Overall there wasn't too much to complain about. But you know what happens when you see somethings potential. You have to act!



Here is the first step of my makeover. It was the hard part. Painting the cabinets took a lot longer than I thought. I took a few brakes, some because we couldn't untighten some of the stubborn screws for a while. But it took me about a month to complete.



After the hard part came the fun part. We got a sweet deal on counter tops at Home Depot. I picked a quarts rather than granite. It is harder and so it doesn't chip. (I can attest to this because I accidentally dropped a hammer on the first day.) It also doesn't need any maintenance-so no resealing! It's great for kids too since it has anti-bacterial stuff already in the counter top. And it's so smooth and wonderful....




As an afterthought I had my friend Ariel back splash the wall. It's not grouted yet. I am so glad that I decided to do that because the sink's faucet can make some serious splashing. Also, no more wiping spaghetti drips and canning splatters of of paint. Yea!




My favorite part of the remodel? The sink! No more crud around the faucet plate. No more stacked up dishes because they don't fit in the sink. Seriously people, it is so great. The price of the plumber to rearrange our pipes under the sink...not so great. But did I mention that the sink was free with our Home Depot deal? So no worries.
OK. If you didn't get a good picture of how deep the sink is. Here is another that has my huge caner pot in it. Just fabulous. Can you tell that I'm excited? I love my kitchen.




10 comments:

T-Ray said...

KRISTY!!! It turned out SO great! I love it. Love the tile on the wall... I love that look when I have seen it before. I can't wait to see it in person. Good work.

Lynette Mills said...

I've been waiting for this post! It is fabulous Kristy! Way to be an excellent interior decorator. Love it! Can't wait to do some dishes there :)

AllMyKs said...

How industrious you are Kristy! It really looks wonderful. You should send your before and afters in somewhere!Way to go!

Lori said...

Wow Kristy! I know i suggested going dark... but your vision and final outcome is beautiful! I think it turned out awesome. I know you are LOVING your kitchen right now :) Under mount sink- so jealous!

Becky said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous Kristy! Good job!

Melissa said...

What a fabulous transformation Kristy! You're amazing!

dannyhaley said...

WOW, your kitchen looks fabulous! Great job!

Tricia Taylor said...

I LOVE it!!! You amaze me to no end. I strive to be like you!!! And I am completely serious when I say that!

Olia said...

Kristi! I love reading your blog. The kitchen... I still have my mouth open since the other day I saw the post. Amazing! You have a talent! So many people struggle with decorating and to you it's natural. So inspiring! I love reading about Grant, and I laugh and laugh. You can compile these stories in a book!

jamie hixon said...

WOW!! I love it! I can't believe you did that all yourselves. That rocks. I really really love it.