Saturday, February 12, 2011

Birthday cake

I found this recipe for maple cake and cream cheese frosting in the newspaper and decided it was going to be the cake for Reanne's family party last night. It looked so good in the picture. I figured it would take me about an hour to make it. I love homemade cakes. I've made them before and they are always more tasty. Well, everything was going well until I took the cake out of the pans. It crumbled everywhere and I could barely keep the whole cake from disintegrating as I transferred it to a platter. I put on the frosting to try to keep it together but it didn't help.
Isn't this the most pathetic cake you've ever seen? I don't know what happened, but I was pretty stubborn about it. I didn't want to waste it and I had already invested a bit of time on it and I didn't want my family to eat a cake from a box. So instead of starting over with an 88 cent mix I already had I decided to look up a fondant recipe to cover it with. The first recipe didn't work. The second called for two ingredients I was out of. Luckily my neighbor came to my rescue so I didn't have to make a Walmart run in the middle of my kitchen mess, and luckily the second recipe worked.
Here is the cake failure saved by about 5000 calories of fondant. The cake was saved but my day was not. The one hour cake had turned into a four hour cake and a pretty messy kitchen.
But Reanne is worth it. I'm glad she got a pretty and tasty, although crumbly cake. For her friend party next week however, she is definitely getting a cake from a box.

7 comments:

T-Ray said...

You recovered well and it was not only the cutest cake but it was also SOOOO tasty! Seriously.... i want some more. Thanks for inviting me.

Lisa said...

Turned out very pretty. You are so creative!

courtneyb said...

that is so funny. And that was quite the save! way to go Mom!

Lori said...

Wow! Good save! Cute cake... have you ever tried marshmellow fondent?

Lynette Mills said...

Lori... that was mentioned as we discussed the cake woes! It was a very tasty cake. Good job saving it Kristy.

jamie hixon said...

HA! I admire your dedication, and the cake looks so cute. I have totally done that before... thought something new would be fast in the kitchen and ended up spending 4 hours on it. Good job!! And I can't believe how old Reanne is getting!

Olia said...

I think 50% of all new recipes I try end up yucky. My husband won't touch them, so I end up eating them myself. But you are so determined. I would have probably thrown in the towel. It turned out cute!