Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm venting

I really do love being a mother, but no one ever told me that the way people view your children could impact you so much. I had parent teacher conferences today. I dread them. Every time I have to face one of Reanne's teachers I know exactly what they are going to say to me. She is doing really well academically...but her behavior is horrible. And then they go on to tell me exactly why they don't appreciate my daughter in their class.

Today I finally said to her teacher, "I do work on behavior all the time at home. I just happen to have a daughter that is very verbal." She then told me, "It's OK to be verbal. She just needs to know what is appropriate." Thank you Mrs. Nelson. I had no idea. I've only had to deal with her temper tantrums and sassy mouth for 6 1/2 years now. But I appreciate your advise.

So after every conference I go home feeling like I am an inexperienced, failing mother. I hate it. If only she had children of her own...perhaps she would be a little more understanding. But lets face it, even if she had children and they acted perfectly in public places, she still wouldn't understand. And I would have been the exact same way if I didn't have a little spirit assigned to me that happened to be a spitfire of a personality. So, if anyone else out there wonders why she acts the way she does - we're working on it!

8 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

sorry you had to hear that from Reanne's teacher. I know you probably took it in a very civil way. To bad we can't be uncivilized sometimes... you could have really told her a thing or two.

T-Ray said...

Kristy, you are a great mother. You have so much patience.... probably a lot more than I would have. Reanne is a great girl and SO SO smart. I think she has improved a lot over the years and I think she will continue to improve when it comes to her acting out.

courtneyb said...

Well I'm happy to hear that you r working on it because I was about to let you know that you needed to. Hahaha just teasing. Have u told the teacher that she can be bribed with money?

Brynley said...

I loved reanne!!! I can't believe my little sam is the age reanne was when I taught her. Just keep directing that energy. She will turn out great!!

Becky said...

Don't you wish that it was socially acceptable to just slap someone sometimes? ;) Reanne is a wonderful girl and you are a good mom. Don't stress too much

jamie hixon said...

We all need to vent sometimes. I've been doing it a lot lately, so my turn is over and I should probably stop.
But seriously, I can see why you need to vent over this one. Not fun. Teachers can be lame, as you are well aware.

Lori said...

Kristy, you are an amazing Mother. I got a lot of years to just watch you before I became one too and I am grateful for you example. Reanne is a tough one, but because she has you as her Mom- she will turn out to do great things with her personality instead of the opposite. Keep it up!

Mindy said...

Well I can say I taught her for 2 years in primary with NO problems. Yes she has a personality but what kid doesn't?