Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Ragnar

I have to say that this was the craziest thing I have ever done. I have only been in one other race before. That race was a 5K and it was fun. I'm not going to say this race was not fun...just crazy.

Here are the stats:

Team- 12 people
Time- 35 hours 53 minutes
Miles in the race- 192
Miles I ran- 13
Miles Jess ran- 14


What I enjoyed about the race:

  1. I had a lot of fun with the 6 people in our van. Well, the engaged couple (team spoon) were pretty quiet and were quite stuck to each other despite our incredible stink, but Kristin, Courtney and Jess were very fun.
  2. After not running in a couple years, I had worked hard to run more than 2 miles in a row. I was really proud of myself that I could run 5 miles uphill without stopping to walk.
  3. The places we ran were really beautiful. I loved seeing the hills of wildflowers, the pretty homes and the views from the mountains.
  4. I was amazed at the people who came to run. Of course there were the fit amazing runners, but there were also people in their 70's, kids, pregnant women, and a blind woman.

What I didn't enjoy about the race:

  1. Number 1 thing I didn't enjoy was the porta-potties. They were nasty, and there really wasn't a way to avoid them...unless you were Jess. Jess not only went in the fields, but he also demonstrated some incredible moves to remain from being seen.
  2. Because we were sleeping 40 minutes away from the race and because we had to be at the race at 4:30 AM, we started the race with only 3 1/2 hours of sleep. That was a bit hard.
  3. Our van didn't have to run in the middle of the night, thank goodness! But we did have to sleep outside in a field. I was tired enough to still fall asleep in the very cold air and on the hard ground, but only for a couple hours. Then we had to run again with 2 really bad nights of sleep. That was hard.
  4. I had prepared to run my legs, which were a 5 mile, a 4 mile and another 4 mile (rounded). But I prepared with relatively flat terrain. If I had researched the race at all, I would have realized that all the legs require either running up a mountain or back down it. (One of my legs was almost flat.) That was hard.
  5. There were way to many people there. They announced at the end of the race there were over 70,000 runners this year. That is great, until you need to drop off your next runner at the exchange and you can't get there because of the traffic. It was frustrating to have to wait for your next runner.

But - even though there were some hard things about the race, I'm glad I did it. I won't do it again, but I'm glad I did it.

5 comments:

T-Ray said...

What an experience! So proud of you! That is a big accomplishment!

Lori said...

13 miles! That is a half marathon... next race for you :) haha, Great job. Running on very little sleep is one of the hardest things to do, i know from experience! Sounds like an awesome, once in a life time experience.

AllMyKs said...

Impressive Kristy! Not so sure I could handle the sleeping and potty conditions.

Lynette Mills said...

if I didn't say it before... congratulations on getting yourself ready for the race and then running it!

Erin said...

Wow Kristy! Good for you! That DOES sound hard. Glad you had the experience though.