Thursday, February 2, 2012

Reanne's Dresser

My dad owns some rental properties.  Every once in a while there are things that are left when renters leave the place.  (In this case, tenants left pretty much everything after a drug bust.)  An old, beat up, wood dresser was left and I claimed it.  I forgot to take a picture of it before I started working on it.  But it was really beat up...white paint chipped, broken bottom, stickers all over it.  It had a lot of dings so I thought the best look would be to antique it.

After trying to strip the paint and not succeeding, I sanded the paint off.  I put a few more dings in it in the process.  Oh well.  Then I painted it, sanded it again where I wanted to age it, and then put a wood stain over the top of the whole thing.  I wiped the stain off, put new knobs on and lined the inside with paper.  I thought the end result was pretty good and it will go perfect in Reanne's room whenever we get our new house.

The first picture is nearest the actual color.



10 comments:

Lori said...

It turned out great Kristy! I can only imagine what it looked like before you started coming from the d.t. property :) Good work! Reduce, reuse, recycle....

Melissa said...

Very cute!

Olia said...

wow wow wow! Now I know who to ask for advice on refinishing a dresser.
Kristi, can you take a picture of your girl's room and share? I am doing Ania's room and I remember you it decorated so pretty!

T-Ray said...

It turned out so cute Kristy! I wish you did take a before picture because what a difference! I love the inside and the new knobs too. Good work.

Lynette Mills said...

A whole lot of elbow grease went into that project! It turned out perfect... Great job kristy

Brett and Collette Merrill said...

Crafty! I like the knobs.

Mindy said...

Very cute! The drug bust didn't happen because they were actually cooking the drugs in the house right? If so you might want to make sure you did the proper cleaning of the dresser before you put her clothes in it and her room.

jamie hixon said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! I would like to get better at redoing furniture. Yay for drug busts... j/k.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kevin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.