Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sleep

I have been stressed the last few months.  I can always tell when I get stressed because I wake up with a sore mouth from clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth while I sleep.  I did that for pretty much a year straight when Jess was in Afghanistan.  Well, for the last month I have not only woken up with a sore face, but I also have been waking up in the middle of the night.  Almost every night I wake up between 2 and 3 a.m. and will be awake from 1-2 hours.  It pretty much makes me a bear in the morning.  I am one who NEEDS my sleep.

Last night Jess stepped in and had me take a melatonin pill before I went to bed.  It was to get my body "used to" sleeping through the night again.  I was very hopeful.  Did the pill work you ask?  Yes.  Did I sleep without interruption?  No.  Sierra came in sometime in the night with a bloody nose.  I looked over at Jess and marveled how he can sleep through pretty much anything.  (The only thing he has ever woken up from since we have been married is a sonic boom when we were in Florida.  He even slept through a knife fight outside our window once.)  So I got up and took care of it.  She proceeded to come in 3 more times because she couldn't fall back asleep.  Then, nearer the morning Sierra came in again because Grant had thrown up and she couldn't sleep in a smelly room.  By then Jess was gone anyway, so I got up to take care of the new mess.  Perhaps tomorrow I will sleep well?

6 comments:

MnM McQuivey's said...

ah the joys of motherhood :) Mike sleeps through a lot too, so I started walking him up and saying "You're turn" when the kids wake up in the night... the problem with that is that by then I'm already awake again so both of us are up. I've started using Serenity to help me sleep...the kids too. It's an Oil from DoTerra that I absolutly love :) From Mom to Mom I truly hope you get a good nights sleep tonight :)

Tracy said...

Oh Kristy, I am sorry. I don't get a lot of sleep... but it is my own fault. I could imagine in this case it would be hard not to get grumpy. I hope you get some good sleep tonight.

Olia said...

oh.... and I was up three times last night. we should hang out, lol - what a blast we could have! I think it's sweet how husbands just try to solve a problem by doing something about it, like giving you meds. Hope tomorrow it helps you sleep. Also, winter and darkness don't help stress : ( May be you will feel better when spring comes.

jamie hixon said...

I get SOOOOO GRUMPY if I don't sleep well. It is funny... when you think you have it all figured out and your kids are all "sleeping through the night" something like that happens. We have had those types of things happening lately in our house too. It's a bummer. I also internalize my stress, so I know what you mean about waking up with a sore face! I will pray for you to get some sleep tonight.

Lori said...

Oh man Kristy, I'm sorry that you haven't been sleeping well. I feel you, my veins and pregnancy are getting me to that point at night right now. It's a rough adjustment to not have as much help during the week i'm sure, let alone the company in the evenings. Sorry to hear that Sierra got a bloody nose and Grant got sick all in the same night :( Hope things get better over there! Love you.

Lynette Mills said...

I bet you turned on the humidifier the next night huh? So sorry about your night time wake ups.