Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fireworks and Dinosaurs

My camera died just before the month started...but it has been resurrected so I can now write another entry and share what we have been up to in July.

On the 4th the kids convinced Jess to take them to the parade.  (Jess hates the Freedom parade.)  We actually got a good spot, but it was hot and the younger ones complained a lot.  This picture was taken when only Grant was grumpy.   Sorry kids.  I think next year we will be skipping the parade.
We of course spent the day with my parents and my sister after that.  Also some other extended family came to enjoy dinner, homemade ice cream, and fireworks with us.  Homemade ice cream on the 4th is a marvelous tradition that I will always keep.  Last year the neighbors put on a great show.  It wasn't as big this year, which is ok because Grant ended up getting sick and threw up all over me resulting in us missing any grand finales that might have taken place.
That weekend we went up to the Aspen Grove area to have a campfire dinner with my Aunt, Uncle and their family.  They spent the night there which we will have to do some day.  My kids had a blast trekking up and down the hill finding wood for the fire and roasting marshmallows.  It was so pretty and smelled so good with all the pine trees.

Yesterday we celebrated my Grandma's birthday.  Before that we went to an open house at Uncle Seth's work.  Sounds boring...but Seth works at a dinosaur lab where they prepare, clean and assemble fossils.  Yesterday's open house featured a full size Diplodocus dinosaur.  We also got a tour of the lab and the kids got to put their hands on some real fossils.  Really cool.



3 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like a good July so far :) Sorry that Grant was sick on the 4th... no fun. Hope he is feeling better. Oh, and I sure miss the homemade icecream. I should have made some myself, maybe next year.

T-Ray said...

I'm glad that I got to spend part of the 4th of July with you and your family. I had a great time. Also up past Aspen Grove was fun too. Oh and those dino bones look super awesome. What a cool job Seth has.

jamie hixon said...

You are having a fun July! I think my kids would enjoy the dino bones. That stinks about Grant getting sick... at least he held out until the end there. ha.