Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thoughts

Remember the school drills we had when we were in elementary school?  Jess had tornado drills because he lived in Iowa.  I had earthquake drills because I lived in California.  They were kind of fun. In fact, sometimes we make our kids practice both kinds of drills for emergency preparedness family activities, even though we live in Utah.

Because they were sick, the girls missed a practice drill at their school last month.  We called it a robber drill.  They practiced what would happen if someone came to the school with a gun.  I understand the importance of the drill, but I couldn't help feeling pretty sad about what kind of disasters my children have to practice for.

On another note, I think we are all officially better from the plethora of illnesses that passed through our family.  Last week I was going to write the same thing but Sierra started complaining that her ear hurt AGAIN!  We just got over an ear infection a few weeks earlier.  She just happened to tell me the day Jess had my car because his was in the shop.  My sister had told me earlier that she cured an ear infection that she had with garlic oil that she whipped up herself.  I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to test it out for ourselves.  So I minced a garlic clove and stuck it in a bit of olive oil, stuck it in the microwave, let it cool and then dropped the oil in Sierra's ear.  She never complained of any pain from that time on and after two days I stopped treatment and she was completely better.  I have to say the whole experience was 1000 times better than waiting at the doctor's office, waiting at the pharmacy and then 10 days of antibiotics.  I'm completely converted.

4 comments:

T-Ray said...

Woohoo!! I'm glad that it worked for Sierra too! I was amazed with how fast it cured mine. Good to know huh? No need for the doctors anymore for ear infections. I'm glad I got my ear infection just so that I could find out the home remedy just so that you know it now. :)

Sad about the school drills. My roommate who is the teacher was telling me that they had to do that drill at her school too.

Ruby said...

I started using garlic oil and have never had to take a kid to the doc for an ear infection since. I also love using Eucalyptus behind their ears.

Lori said...

Glad to hear you guys are all better over there. We believe in garlic 100% too!

jamie hixon said...

Garlic drops? I am doing that next time! Two sisters with experience cannot be wrong.

I know what you mean about the drills. So sad.